Sunday, February 17, 2013

Questions

They always say that women fall for men that remind them of their fathers; does that mean lesbians fall for women that remind them of their mothers? I've had to come to terms with that a little bit because (after a year of adamant denial) I have admitted (at least to myself) that my girlfriend is an awful lot like my mother. My mother was a frustrated jock growing up during a time that girls were discouraged from playing sports; there were almost no opportunities in the small town in which she grew up for a girl to play the sports she loved. When I was young, I can remember mom always playing softball for our church league, throwing the football around with the kids in the neighborhood and being front and center when there was a basketball or football game on. She carried this on by encouraging my brother and I to play sports and finally being one of the most enthusiastic fans at my son's football, lacrosse or hockey games. In the summer, she could often be found in her john boat fishing. My father, on the other hand, had very little use for sports (although he did enjoy watching hockey now and again), preferring to spend his time gardening or woodworking in his shop. My girlfriend is a wonderful woman who grew up playing basketball and would have played football had her mother let her. Football season finds her in front of the tv, yelling at the current football game; summer will find her out on her boat fishing or kayaking or playing basketball or tennis (with her favorite girl, of course). My mother and my girlfriend like to fly under the radar; don't rock the boat, don't upset the status quo. My father and myself are more likely to be in-your-face, outspoken and stubborn. So, if my girlfriend is like my mother and I'm like my father, maybe it's just that the dynamic works, despite the gender of the people involved. Maybe it's just a good fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment