Tuesday, October 1, 2013

In a Nutshell ~ Who I am and how I got here - in a nice, clear and concise little box.



I grew up in a loving yet strict (homophobic) Christian home.  I tried hard to be the person I felt I was supposed to be - married a man (who ended up abusing me and drugs) had two wonderful kids, stayed home to raise them and even homeschooled them.  Early on in my marriage, my husband asked me if I thought I'd ever like to "be with a woman" and, although I'd never consciously thought about it, I gave a resounding YES!  From that point on, I played a painful game of tug-of-war between my sexual identity and my religious beliefs....fully believing the two had to be mutually exclusive.  I've made it my goal to try to let others (both straight and lgbtq) that God is not waging a war on us; that the gay bashing verses have been twisted and contorted through fear and hate.  It breaks my heart to see so many people turn their backs on their faith or to be driven away by the church itself.  It also breaks my heart to see so many people ending their lives because they just can't accept who they are. 

I believe I have a somewhat unique perspective because of my past, my current and my future.  I spent 19 years in a hetero marriage because I felt it was the "right" thing to do, despite the fact that I had come to terms with the fact that I am a lesbian.  I raised two kids. I'm now out and proud. I'm engaged to an amazing woman.  I am a mother of two and a grandmother of one.  I'm a writer, an artist and a singer.  I am unique :)

No comments:

Post a Comment