Tuesday, October 1, 2013

A Lesbian Wedding -The Triumphs, Trials and Tears (Part 1)

Wendy proposed to me in July of 2012; that proposal included the words "some day".  Some day?  What the heck?  How do you say that to a girl?  You'd better at least have a ballpark date!  Not my Wendy lol.  We've discussed this several times over the last year and I never got anything more concrete than "I don't know, maybe 2030?" hahaha, yeah you're funny Wen - NOT!
My Beautiful Ring

It seems like lately, everyone has been on her case, wanting to know a date.  We went to a friend's wedding and they swarmed her, teasing, prying, encouraging.  My daughter and daughter-in-law have questioned her.  Most recently, we had a girls night, consisting of several family and friends - her family gave her the third degree!  When?  Where?  We want to know!  They got her narrowed down to August of 2015 (if her ever-changing work schedule permitted.)

Apparently, all of this interest has pushed her to the point of thinking more seriously about the details.  She came home from work this morning and said "well, I was going over my schedule and it looks like I'll have a block (9 days off that she gets every six weeks) starting on August 8...I'd like to do it then so that we have the rest of the block for our honeymoon."  Holy cow!  No way!

Triumph #1 -  I have a date!


Sensing a break in the "some day" dam, I proceeded to ask about colors (turquoise blue?) sounds good for both of us), dresses (for me mind you...and she wants me in something long and formal; I'm good with that too), location (she wants an outdoor wedding and reception at a local park with a gazebo...not my idea of fun, but I suppose I really have to bend a little bit here, right?)
Sincerely LOVE this!

Now that I've actually got a date - and it's not 17 years away - I decided to start looking around for some ideas (yeah, I know, who am I kidding?  I started planning before she ever bought the ring lol).


Trial #1 - The gross lack of wedding accoutrement for same sex weddings (unless, of course, you're seriously hoping for unicorns jumping rainbows while farting glitter).  There are, maybe, half a dozen cake toppers, no decent invites that I've found, and all of the little favors say Mr & Mrs....and yet, we do not fall into that category.
Thank you Paint! for helping me out
Trial #2 - What to wear? What to wear?  Not so much a problem with me because...well, I'm a girlie girl (most of the time; I do have my redneck jeans/boots/t-shirt moments too).  The problem is with Wen.  She is NOT a dress-wearing woman, nor does she dress in menswear.  She's a sneakers/jeans/t-shirt girl at heart.  I do like the look of a woman wearing a sexy suit or tux with no blouse under the jacket but I just can't see her getting excited about that.

Trial #3 - Who walks down the aisle?  Does she wait for me at the alter because she's the butchier of the two?  Do we walk down the aisle together, hand-in-hand?  Should we each come in, one at a time to our own music?  Ergh....I'm lost.  We do each have music that we want playing when we come down the aisle so I'm thinking we should come down one at a time to our choice of music (for me, I'm thinking maybe "Rest of My Life" by Bruno Mars and she wants "Let's Get Married" by Jagged Edge feat. Run DMC which is hilarious and so perfectly Wendy)  It's just so hard because the traditional norms don't fit us.

No comments:

Post a Comment